What is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is a therapeutic treatment in which a trained professional manipulates the soft tissues of the body — muscle, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments and skin — using varying degrees of pressure and movement.
There are several different modalities of Massage - at Alternative Healthcare Center, our modalities range from Lymphatic, Deep Tissue, Thai Massage, Trigger Point Therapy, Myofasial release, Relaxation Massage and Aromatherapy.
Click on the link for a detailed description of each modality :Massage Therapy Modalities
Why use Massage Therapy?
Massage is an excellent method for improving overall health and musculoskeletal efficiency.
A number of benefits can occur to the body and the mind when choosing massage as your form of therapy, these benefits include :
- Relaxation– When the body is tense and under stress, it produces unhealthy levels of the well-known stress hormone, cortisol, which can contribute to weight gain, sleeplessness, digestive problems, and headaches. Massage therapy has been shown to decrease cortisol levels in the body.
- Stress Relief– Massage therapy helps with stress relief. Regular massage sessions over a prolonged period of time can boost energy levels, reduce pain, and stimulate individuals on physical as well as emotional levels.
- Lower Blood Pressure – Regular massage therapy sessions have been found to reduce blood pressure levels.
- Relieves Muscle Tension – The purpose of massage therapy is to target the source of the body’s pain by eliminating tense muscles, increasing flexibility, and providing relaxation to the affected muscles as well as the body as a whole. Massage also promotes circulation to the affected or injured muscles, which increases nutrients and oxygen to the damaged tissues. In turn, this increased activity to the affected sites reduces stiffness and edema (swelling) in the muscles and joints, as well as increases flexibility to help reduce pain.
- Improve Circulation – Improved circulation is one of the long-term benefits of receiving regular massage therapy on a consistent basis. This is because proper circulation brings damaged, stiff, and tense muscles the rich blood supply they need to promote healing.
- Improve Posture –Massage therapy can help get the body back into proper alignment. Improving one’s posture can be one of the most beneficial and relaxing aspects of massage therapy. Massage allows the body to relax and loosen the muscles made tense and sore from bad posture. In turn, this allows the body to position itself in its organic and pain-free posture. As part of a consistent massage therapy program, the body’s muscles are loosened and relaxed. Moreover, the joints have greater freedom, flexibility, range of motion, and pressure points are relieved. As a result, the body is able to position itself in an organic and healthy posture.
- Strengthen the Body’s Immune System –Studies have indicated that regular massage sessions not only help reduce stress, but can also boost the immune system’s cytotoxic capacity (activity level of the body’s natural “killer cells”) and enhances the body’s ability to deliver nourishment. Much like regular exercise can keep the body fine-tuned, regular massage therapy can help keep the immune system strong and resilient.
Dr. Marc works side by side with a Licensed Massage Therapist, evaluating the musculoskeletal condition and coordinating a step by step plan designed specifically to improve the health and well being of the patient.
Are you experiencing any of the following injuries and disorders:
- Digestive disorders
- Insomnia related to stress
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Soft tissue strains or injuries
- Sports injuries
- Temporomandibular joint pain
Massage can help!
Click 'request appointment' below to schedule yours today!